Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Reluctantly Retired? Not Me!

I have a friend who repeatedly says she hates retirement because she loved her job and was involuntarily laid off because of the economy. She's a statistic of the times, but also unusual. She had what I thought was a cushy job, but I doubt she would ever admit that. Getting paid for doing what you love is always the goal. I loved my job, too, but the economy forced me to half time at half pay when, in reality, I did not work "half-time." I worked full time for half pay and that stunk! One can only give so much and I was feeling put upon. So, when I reached 66 and the Government agreed to start paying me, I jumped at the chance. I've yet to look back...I haven't had time.

Yesterday I went to three meetings! And being retired, I kind of resented that I had those three to go to although I signed up for each event. I am hoping that three in one day doesn't happen again any time soon. In between meetings, I had to organize some interviews for this coming Saturday--again a project I signed up for--but I spent about an hour on the phone and then emailing confirmations. It really seemed like I was "working."

As I look over this month's schedule of activities and events, I find I may have dived into retirement with a little too much gusto. On the other hand, I really don't want to sit around contemplating that cliched navel.

I like being out and about...I also like vegging out at home, just puttering...I like being a lady who can "lunch" if I choose to...or take a 20 minute nap if I feel like it. I like being involved in the community--especially my small, friendly town. It gives me purpose, makes me productive. What more could a retiree want?

And I like our local Council on Aging. There's a myriad of activities for all tastes. If you want to be an "active senior" that's the place to be. I'm not a COA snob--"Im not old like those people. I don't belong at the COA." I think those seniors who refuse to look into activities at COA are really missing the boat. There appears to be something for everyone. And, if you don't see a choice you like, they welcome suggestions for activities.

Today I did an hour in the weight room; first 30 minutes on the treadmill and 10 with free weights, ending with 20 minutes on the bike. This was the first time I had done any of these things and I loved it. With up-to-date equipment, I could see what my heart rate is, how fast and how far I "traveled." Can I say that this hour of exercise was one of the most fun and fulfilling I've had recently. I worked up a self-righteous sweat and the endorphins really did kick in! I was psyched for the rest of the day. And because I'm retired, I can do whatever I please.

No comments:

Post a Comment