Monday, September 14, 2009

First Day of Retirement: Remember Me?

Well, the countdown is over. Today is my very first day of RETIREMENT. (Yeah!!) I can hardly believe it but it's true. The countdown is over and I am now my own person. No more worrying about the "job."

So, true to the plan I had in my head, I took a 30 minute walk and here I am back at the computer and hope my many fans haven't decided to dessert the Retiredgal for lack of new posts. It's been a very, very busy few weeks trying to dot all the i's and cross all the t's before I could truly leave the office for good,.

There was a party and a gift (who doesn't like that!) and, of course, all the kudos about a job well done. Yeah, it was a job well done, so there! Now all I have to worry about is making ends meet on Social Security, a few small IRA's and a teeny tiny pension from one job I was at for 10 years. It seems to work on paper--hope it works in reality. I'd hate to have to ask my only child for retribution! (Although it certainly is due!).

Anyway, here I am...a Zumba course at 11 a volunteer committee meeting at 2 and the rest of the day is mine. Rotary tomorrow morning, followed by a walk and weight training at 8:45, then, perhaps, cribbage at 10 and a 5:30 p.m. meeting. What do you think? Too ambitious a schedule? I dunno know. Maybe I should go slower...

And sometime this week I have a 6:30 a.m. breakfast date at a little shack on the water. Better be a sun-shiney day for that! Then later in the week when the forcast is for rain I just may stay in and CLEAN THE HOUSE! (Just kidding!)

Thurday and Friday are so far up in the air--no plans; but, of course, I can make any plan I want--without worrying about work. As I've heard most retirees say,
"I don't know how I ever found the time to work, I'm so busy in "retirement."

After the winter, when I just can turnover and go back to sleep at the first hint of SNOW!, I may adjust my plans and try to fit in some paid work--maybe 10 hours a week. Just enough to have some extra walking around money. Who knows, I just might find a new career.

All you retirees out there (or those about to be), please COMMENT.

No comments:

Post a Comment