Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Reflections of a recalcitrant retiree

I've always like alliteration. I say recalcitrant because I'm still not sure retiring is such a good thing, but I am really, really tired of working. I am not lazy--I don't think you'd find anyone who knows me who would characterize me as lazy. But I do want to do nothing for a while. I think I just need a rest and a vacation is not what I have in mind. One or two weeks won't do it. I need a longer time to rest, reflect and rejuvenate! (How 'bout that alliteration!)

I'm down to twenty-eight days. This counts weekends which I guess I shouldn't count because I hardly think about work on weekends anymore. I used to. My type of job is not nine to five--it's been for a long, long time more like twenty-four/seven. But I have sloughed off to my second in command a lot of those problems. So, not counting weekends, there's only about 17 or 18 days left. That sounds both great and horrific because I still have a lot of "cleaning up" to do. And there do seem to be any number of problems that continue to rear their ugly heads.

I am, therefore, not so much as recalcitrant as ready, willing and sort of able (financially)to retire. Twenty-eight days, 17 days? Who's counting?

No comments:

Post a Comment