Sunday, August 2, 2009

A Birth Day Blog on the Road to Retirement

Well, today I turn 66 and according to the Social Security Administration have reached full retirement age. I knew it was coming and, in a way, I have been planning for it for a couple of months. I wish I had planned better and longer. But here I am, 66, and my retirement date is September 15, 2009--and I can't wait! I am ready. I am eager. I am willing. I have 45 days to go before I actually quit work. Until then, I am still in charge, still have current work to do, problems to face and solve, and "stuff" to finish and tie up neatly. A cluttered desk to clear. That's going to be the easy one--everything into the round file-- or in my case, the rectangular file under my desk.

After working full time for all of my adult life--about 48 years-- except for two and a half years after my only child was born, I am ready to retire. I've had an interesting work career. I've done a lot of different things, but have always seemed to break out of the pack so to speak and lead. Perhaps it's my "Leo" vibes.

I'm going to blog daily leading up to R-Day on September 15, then continue the blog into retirement to let those of you coming up (the so-called boomers) know what you can expect. I'm going to blog about finances, health, volunteering, cooking, and things that might lead me to an after retirement career. (Some of my choices are working in a bookstore, becoming a personal cook--not "chef"--perhaps writing a novel (just kidding)(but maybe not).

In terms of retirement savings, I really didn't do too well. That $1,000,000 I'm supposed to have to live a long, worry-free retirement is just not there. Would you believe $50,000? Despite my having interesting jobs, they were mostly in social services and low paying. I didn't follow the rules regarding IRAs, pensions, etc. So, with Social Security, a small (very small) pension from one of my jobs, supplemented by withdrawals from the IRAs and a small (very small) stipend from one of my volunteer activities, I'll have about $30,000 to live on before taxes. And, if I'm still here at 71, then it's time to redo the budget!

There were things I could do to enhance that budget. First, I could work until 70 and collect the maximum from Social Security. Oh, no. I'm tired now. I'm ready now. I could spend less, save more for the next four years. Nope!. I'm tired now. I'm ready now.

I think I can do it. Those of you who have saved that $1,000,000 in investments and retirement savings might want to move on. You won't need my hints about shopping the clearance aisles for everything from gifts to food. You won't be going to the movies at 11 a.m. for the cheap tickets, or shopping yard sales for anything. And when I go to the local "International Festival" for a food tasting, you'll probably be taking off for your rental in Provence and an "amuse bouche " of the real kind.

Nevertheless, I'm ready, I'm willing, and I'm able...and so I'm gonna...retire! Just 45 days left.

No comments:

Post a Comment