Saturday, August 8, 2009

Retirement--My No.,1 Ambition

Day 7, R-Day Minus 39 - but my horoscope for the week of Aug. 10-23 says forget about multi-tasking--stop taking on a brand new project, hobby or job every day. I guess I am spreading my time and energy too thin. I have to decide what my No. 1 ambition is going to be and make that my focus. Does that mean I shouldn't be blogging? Or should I just concentrate on my real job--work--and start cleaning up the things that need to be cleaned up--or just thrown away.

I never seem to get much done on weekends, even though I now have four day weekends because I am only working Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays (usually). This weekend, as all others recently has gone by much too soon, although technically, I'm only half way through. It is Saturday evening and I have two full days. But like all other weekend days I am over scheduled. When am I going to do the laundry? When am I going to put together and deliver the tribute to my daughter's pediatrician who is retiring (also) next month. I said I'd do it, but I'm sure that with thousands of babies in his long career he won't miss one or two pictures. Or will he? He is, after all, very special and I think he saved my life as a new mother as well as my daughter's a couple of times.

And then tomorrow night I'm having a couple of people for dinner. Not a lot of pressure, but that I do have to straighten out my condo--surprisingly, it can get very messy in just a few days. And paperwork--boy does it pile up. I have mine--the usual bills, etc., as well as that of the patient I oversee. That takes time, as well as filling two pill strips each week so I can take my morning pills in the morning and my nighttime pills at night.

As long as I can remember (and way before the term became popular)I was a multi-tasker. I had two jobs most of my adult life or, at least, a job and a half. And let's not forget that being a wife and mother is another full-time job that most of us who worked outside the house also performed singlehandedly back in the day. I think it's great that young men these days share some of the household and child-rearing responsibilities--or so it seems. I wonder what their mothers think? They must have had a hand it it. It will be interesting when my daughter gets married and has children to see how she and her husband handle those responsibilities.

So, I need to concentrate on my retirement and stop multi-tasking. Fat chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment