Monday, August 10, 2009

Retirement Countdown - 37 days to go

And I say again, who's counting? Well, of course, I am. I can't wait. Once the decision is made, it's too bad one can't act immediately. Unfortunately there's some planning that has to go on. Of course, some of the planning I should have started years ago--about 40 to be exact. But life happened and some of the IRAs started with all good intentions about 30 years ago had to be spent for one reason another and penalties paid. Not the least of which is the current penalty of not having the requisit one million dollar nest egg.

Oh well. I've always lived a fairly frugal life in some areas while spending freely in others. I've always been generous and probably gave beyond my means to various chaities over the years. This may seem odd to say (write) but in some instances it seemed easier to give money away rather than to save it.

I have always been a saver, however, just not seriously. When I was young and unmarried I bought savings bonds regularly. But then I used them to help pay for my wedding. A few years later, those IRAs helped pay for the one and only trip to Disney World for my daughter. Another some years later paid for a new (second-hand) car when my old one finally died completely. Which leads me to say that I have never owned a brand new car. Only had second-hand ones. Not that I really care except that I've never felt really secure with any car--always afraid they would break down. Just paid $1200 for new struts. Do we really need struts? What are struts. The mechanic said they keep the wheels hugging the road. I guess that's a good thing. So now my 2000 car has new struts. Honestly, I can't tell the difference.

Anyway, all water under the bridge or over the dam. Doesn't make any difference because one never cries over spilt milk, etc, etc. The end result is the same. I don't have the one million to help contribute to my retirement income. I guess the main concern for some retirees is paying for health care. I do have a long-term care policy with inflation clauses. That should help somewhat. But paying for health care now--doctors, prescriptions, tests, etc. well, that's another story. I have been fairly healthy, but some long or chronic illness might wipe me out. Not going to dwell on that.

Guess that's it for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment