Sunday, August 16, 2009

Remembering Life Before Retirement

Beverly Beckham made me cry today. Actually she makes me cry a lot. But today she had me remembering "back to school shopping." For those of you not around Boston, Beverly writes a column for the Sunday Globe. And today it was about back to school shopping.

Long before I became a short-timer to retirement (30 days to go!), I was a young mother who each August went "back to school shopping." And Beverly Beckham made me remember how much fun it was and how I anticipated showing all my purchases to my daughter as she came back from summer camp.

Like Beverly, I bought school clothes and first day of school outfits and school supplies and laid them out all over the couch or sometimes all over my daughter's bed and waited impatiently for her to come home from sleep away camp to see her reaction to the largess before her. When she was 9, 10 and 11, there was excitement and pure joy. She loved everything--even the things that didn't fit perfectly or that were not quite still in style.

Around age 12 or so she, like most 12 year old girls, became much more discerning and discriminating: "I hate this!." "I absolutely will NOT wear that!" "How could you think I would EVER wear that!" Nevertheless, I continued to shop for "back to school" even as she approached college. It was what I did in August...and I miss it.

No comments:

Post a Comment