Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Ruminating on retirement - day 3 - minus 43

A little confusing perhaps for newcomers to this blog. Minus 43 means 43 more days until retirement. Day 3 means third day past official Social Security Retirement age--66 in my case. I am not a Boomer. Born in 43 makes me officially a "tweener." That label was something I first heard about 20 years ago to describe those of us born "between" the Great Depression and the end of World War II. Boomers, of course, refer to the baby boom produced by young returning soldiers and their wives just after the end of World War II.

As a Tweener, I come of age just a few years before the Boomers. I'm a child of the post-war 40's, cold war 50's and very early 60's. I'm the generation who didn't have TVs as children. My first TV experience was about 1952 with programs like Howdy Doody,and later The (original) Micky Mouse Club with Annette, the (original) American Bandstand. I Remember Mama on Friday nights, Uncle Miltie, etc., in black and white, of course, were staples!

Now I'm 66 and waiting breathlessly (literally) for retirement. A big part of my retirement will be the continuation of my volunteer work. I can't remember not volunteering. Even as a single adult, I taught CCD at my church. As a young mom, I continued that and added Girl Scout Leader, PTO member, and other things that kept me busy and connected,

I still volunteer as a member of some Town boards and programa and, of course, as a Roltarian--service above self.

I have a few friends who have already retired and the comment I hear most is, "I'm busier than when I had a 9 to 5." I think I'd like more balance between busy and relaxation. I'd like more time to read, go to movies, take a short afternoon nap. All of course with some structure.

No comments:

Post a Comment