Sunday, August 9, 2009

Retirement in 38 But Who's Counting?

Only 38 days to go! This is day 8 of my blog. Wondering how I'm going to keep this up day after day especially if no one is out there reading it. Even my daughter says she can't access it so I have no comments. I'll have to do some research and figure out what I'm doing wrong. Maybe this is an invisible blog meant for my eyes only. That would be interesing.

Had company for dinner tonight. Nothing too fancy, but two women my age and both already retired. Both are in much better financial position than I. One was a teacher for 30 years in the MTA (Mass. Teachers Association, read union). I think she has about 80%of her highest year with full benefits. The other took early reitrement some years ago after working as an executive at a bank. Also inherited some family money. I missed out on all of those. They were talking about Whole Foods. Who can affort Whole Foods. I'm lucky when I can get reduced for quick sale at Market Basket.

Finances are going to be a challenge. I am going to be on a fairly strict budget but since I have a relatively low key life style, that shouldn't be a problem. I just want enough to pay all the bills, buy food to share with friends and go out for lunch or dinner once in a while. Maybe a trip to NYC once or twice a year to see my daughter. Not asking alot. Don't intend to go to Europe ever again.

I suppose I could try to win some money in the lottery. I do buy tickets every once in a while but so far have not been too lucky. I know a couple of people who have each won two million over 20 years. Actually, it was probably at least 20 years ago that they each won the $2,000,000. That would be nice, but I'm not sure it will ever happen and buy any substantial tickets is not in my budget. I heard once that there is no such thing as "luck." That everyone has the same "chance" of winning. That made me feel good as I never considered myself "lucky," and this meant I, too, might win the lottery just by chance (which actually makes a lot of sense.) But even to do it "by chance" you have to buy tickets and I seldom do. Maybe I could invest the $14 I will be saving on iced coffee I can use to by lottery tickets. I'll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment